About this Challenge:
Below is a general description of the challenge. More specific details and rules will be provided to you at the start of the event at the headquarters.
- This event will involve a night time hunt.
- Participants will be organized by patrols or dens.
- Each Patrol or Den will be challenged to prove their technical skills and knowledge.
- Each participating Patrol/Crew or Den will use the following items.
- A GPS or Smartphone (Android or iPhone) with GPS capabilities per Patrol/Crew/Den. See details below about smartphones.
- Pen or Pencil
- First Aid Kit
- If your patrols/dens do not have a GPS, then indicate this in the survey so you can be provided a unit at the event.
- Be Prepared! If your unit has one or more GPS or has access to a GPS capable smartphones then bring them to the event. Learn how to use that device as a GPS prior to attending the event. This will involve knowing how to enter coordinates to create and find waypoints using the built-in map or compass. Not all GPS devices allow you to enter coordinates and create waypoints. Be sure that your device does have this capability.
- Troop or Pack leaders should complete the survey prior to attending the Camporee. The survey may allow us to assist you prior to the event.
- At the start of the event, all Patrols/Dens and members are required to sign in at the headquarters. Basic instructions and rules of the hunt will be provided at that time.
- The buddy system will be strictly enforced.
- Each Patrol/Den will be provided instruction sheets containing specific coordinates for the starting points for each geocache. Geocaches will NOT be posted on the Geocaching.com site.
- You will be required to enter the coordinates of the geocache starting points or stages into your GPS device to complete the hunt.
- Night reflectors may exist to mark “the way” and assist each Patrol/Den to find the geocache. Bring your flashlights.
- When you find the geocache, sign the logbook within the cache and return the geocache to its original location.
- When your quest is complete, return safely to the headquarters and sign back in.
- Bring your Blue Cards to get credit for the Merit Badge Requirements that you may satisfy. See resource links below for obtaining those requirements and additional information.