Troop 103 - About Us
 Home     Calendar     Event Reports     Responsibilities     Resources/Forms     Advancement     Awards     About Us     Contact Us   
Troop 103 History
Troop History

Charter is Granted

The Boy Scouts of America granted a Charter to Troop 3 sponsored by St. Joseph Church in Hanover on June 20, 1918. Reverend G. W. Nicely was the Commissioner representing the local council on the Charter. At that time, approximately 8,000 people resided in Hanover. Thomas L. Murphy, the first leader of the Troop, previously had supervised a group of youth in the local Boys Club. He was assisted by James B. Baker and Ralph H. Storm. James B. Baker succeeded Thomas L. Murphy as Scoutmaster in 1919. Reverend James A. Huber, Frank Brenner and Stanley Scheivert assisted the early Troop in the capacity of committee members.

1918 Boy Scout War Garden
Troop 3

Pictured is Boy Scout Troop 3 (now 103) of Saint Joseph Catholic Church in their victory garden in 1918 at the rear of the former Knights of Columbus Council 871 building on York Street.

Mr. Thomas Murphy was the Scoutmaster (standing on walk) and James B. Baker was the Assistant Scoutmaster (dark suit, right rear).

Others in the photo are Francis Kuhn, John Kinneman, Paul Hertz {two prong hoe), Earl Hertz {last man in left row), Joe Aumon, Nicholas Murphy, John Aumon {front of sign with hoe), Jacob Landis {legs together), Ernest Norwig {back of Landis), Arthur Kelly {dark suit on right), Harold Brady {light shirt). A few of the members are unknown.

Original Members

Twenty-three Scouts (Richard Alleman, Charles Brady, Roger Britcher, Guy Gotwalt, Charles Hufnagle, Roger Johnson, Arthur Kelly, John King, John Kinneman, David Klunk, Robert Klunk, Francis Kuhn Jr., Jacob Landis, Lowell Lingg, Romanus Lingg, Charles Maxwell, John Miller, Nicholas Murphy, Norbert Neiderer, William Overbaugh, Gerald Pfaff, Thomas Smith, Joseph Urick) were registered on the original charter with fourteen (John Aumon, Joseph Aumon, Harold Brady, Bernard Brenner, Francis Devine, Paul Hertz, Thomas Johnson, Samuel Mattingly, Ernest Norwig, A. Pentz, Henry Smith, Edgar Sneeringer, James Staub, Austin Storm) more boys joining the first year. The first meetings of the Scouts were held in John McKinney's barn, then the garage of Ambrose Klunk, from there to the Knights of Columbus Hall, and finally to St. Joseph Hall. With service to the community as their objective, the planning of a large war garden during World War I behind the former Knights of Columbus building on York Street was among their first activities. Also, the Troop participated in the sale of liberty war bonds.

1919 at Devils Den, Gettysburg

Pictured is Boy Scout Troop 3 (now 103) of Saint Joseph's Catholic Church at Devils Den in Gettysburg on October 19, 1919.

Scouts in the top row (left to right) are Nicholas Murphy, Joseph Urick, Charles Maxwell, Francis Kuhn Jr. Paul Hertz, Joseph Aumon and Myers (?).

The scouts in the middle row (left to right) are Roger Johnson, Jacob Landis, John Aumon, Charles Hufnagle, John Kinneman, Norbert Neiderer, Robert H. Pentz, and Ernest Norwig.

In the bottom row (left to right) are Thomas Murphy, Scoutmaster James Baker and an unknown person.
The 1920 Troop 3 Basketball Team

In 1920, Troop 3 had their own basketball team with Scoutmaster James B. Baker as their coach.

Players sitting from left to right are Guy Gotwalt and John Kinneman

Players Standing from left to right are Jacob Landis, Paul Hertz, Francis Kuhn and John Aumon.

The Conewago Council was organized as a Second-Class council during the summer of 1919. The local council included Scouts from Hanover, Littlestown, New Oxford, Abbottstown and East Berlin. St. Joseph Boy Scouts became known as Troop 103 after the Conewago Council merged with the York-Adams Council in 1931. In July 2002, the York-Adams Area Council was restructured from four to three Districts. At that time, Troop 103 resided was in the Blue and Grey District until 2011 and now resides within the boundaries of the Battlefield District. On February 25, 2010 the York-Adams Area Council agreed to merge with Keystone Council and was named on April 1, 2010 as Keystone York-Adams Council. On October 1, 2010 the council was formally named New Birth of Freedom Council.

Eagles of Troop 103

Click here to list the recipients of Scouting's highest rank.

Past Scoutmasters

Click here to see a historical listing of Scoutmasters of Troop 103.

Here is additional information about the Troop History ancluded in our 90th Anniversary Celebration.
  90th Anniversary
On October 11, 2008, our sponsor, Saint Joseph Holy Name Society and Boy Scout Troop 103 celebrated their 85th and 90th anniversaries respectively with a dinner and special program.

Troop 103 is Feature in a York-Adams Area Council News Article on their website.
View the Event Program.
View the Event Photos.
Order Shirts, Sweatshirts, Hats, and Neckerchiefs with our new 90th Anniversary logo!
Logistic information leading up to the event.
Promotional Flyer
Slide Show that ran at the 90th Anniversary Event